View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 05:13 AM   #20
Mike / Tx

Quote:
If I load cast bullets at the contender/blackhawk velocities, the bullets with the gas checks should take care of the leading? I have been looking here at the links you all provided on the cast bullets.
Things to remember with lead,

You want to clean all of the copper fouling out of your barrel before you shoot lead through it. The small bits of copper which might be in there will quickly contribute to a leading situation, since they are harder than the lead they will shear it off with each passing shot.

Fit and lube are essential to preventing leading. Either is easily dealt with however. Simply slug your barrel using an egg sinker, mic the widest part and use this dimension plus .001" when you order your bullets and you should be fine. Most of the top makers use lube that will handle the velocities at which the particular bullets will be driven.

The condition of your bore might also add to some leading, but it is easily removed with a strand of a copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around a bristle bore brush. The copper strand will slice the lead out quickly and will not harm your barrel.

Another tip I was given, if you know of someone who cast and might have some or you have access to some Alox, simply wet a patch with it and run down your bore a few passes before you shoot your lead. This will somewhat pre-condition your bore so that the first shot has something to ride on. I have to do this with my 454 or I get slight smearing with the first three shots from a clean barrel. With the pre-conditioning, I have no issues what so ever even running the 300gr GC loads at 1500+fps.

A gas check will not prevent leading, but it will help reduce it, and it will protect your bullets bases from any major deformation when used with heavier loads. The fit and lube are what keep leading to a minimum.

Page generated in 0.02199 seconds with 8 queries