View Single Post
Old March 21, 2010, 01:40 AM   #15
Jim243

An "inexpensive 357" would be a "Rossi" it is made by Taurus and is reasonalbly well made and has the same lifetime warenttee that the Taurus has. The next up would be a Taurus or Ruger. Both are reliable and very well made. The next up would be the Smith and Wesson guns, but they are expensive and I feel overpriced for 50 year old technoligy, they have come up with some new designs in the last few years, but nothing that I would call earth shaking.

Your best bet for the dollar is the Ruger GP100, not cheap but not overly overpriced. Your best value for the dollar would be the Taurus.

Caliber 357 mag of course, can be used for 38 special also.

Dies - Lee Deluxe Pistol Dies best value for your money and less expensive than any others.

For a first gun on a budget, I would say go with the Rossi. I also would not recommend a used gun for the first time buyer. The first question I ask when looking at a used gun, "is why did the person get rid of it" a used gun is just that used, not pre-owned, not reconditioned, not a factory second, but something that has seen 50,000 miles or more on it. I do not believe in buying someone else's problems. The one exception is those you might fine in a pawn broker store. There the reason was they needed the money. But unless you know what you are looking at and what problems they may have you are safer with your money to buy new.

Just an opinion from a gun owner for the past 50 years.
Good luck.
Jim

Page generated in 0.02592 seconds with 8 queries