View Single Post
Old June 7, 2010, 12:00 PM   #40
USAFNoDak

BGutzman:

Quote:
The founders were radical in that they put these ideas to a paper(s) forming the founding principles of a government and not as a agreement with a existing government (Magna Carta ect).
I agree. Also, it was a radical idea amongst the world leaders at the time, that "The People" and not the "elites" owned the power over their own lives.

I too believe there were many people in the world who believed as the founders did, that the individual had the power to determine his own destiny and to defend his self interests with the best means possible, determined by himself, not some ruling elitists or monarch. As you state, such beliefs had never been put to paper with a pen, and our founders risked their very lives to do so. That's what is radical in my thinking. Good posts, BGutzman. I think you and I are on the very same page but with a nice, complementary way of expressing it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.

Page generated in 0.03661 seconds with 8 queries