View Single Post
Old December 16, 1999, 10:28 AM   #15
Bill Hebert

Chris, it wasn't that long ago that I was in the same boat that you are. I didn't even know what a shell holder was. I would suggest buying the Lee reloading manual for about $15 - and awhile back, Lee would throw a single-stage press in the deal. Naturally
it's not a press you would brag about, but it let me cut my teeth in reloading. I found a
Pacific press at the local range for twenty dollars (the primer feed tube was missing) and the difference in quality is evident. Be careful about buying "package deals." The manufacture puts all his stuff into it and you will soon find that different manufacturers make products you prefer over others. For instance, I think the Lee case lube stinks and I threw the stuff in the garbage. I like the Dillon case lube. I like the Dillon dies, but they're 2X more than the Lee's and the Lee is a good die.
The advice about the Dillon 550B is good advice - even if you don't like reloading, you could sell it with your eyes closed. Just don't let the price of the Dillon stop you from "getting into" reloading. Keep trying to find someone locally to guide you - I bet they're out there. They were there when I was looking- I just didn't know where.
Try a range or a gun store. One of my local gun dealers has 11 presses in his shop (talk about a reloader!) As a beginner, I had excellent results with Hodgdon powders. Good luck.

Page generated in 0.02319 seconds with 8 queries