View Single Post
Old September 18, 2006, 08:34 PM   #8
CDH

Ok HSSmith, here's what happened:

I pulled the slide back like you said to remove the slide lock lever. Worked like a charm.

Then the slide came off easily to the front as an assembly.

You said to then make sure to lock the barrel into battery (diddit), put the link to the rear (diddit), and then remove the guide rod (can't do it). The guide rod wouldn't lift high enough to the rear to clear the barrel lug with the barrel bushing and spring retainer in their normal positions.

So I scratched my head a bit and went ahead and carefully tried again to push in the slide spring retainer from the front in order to try to remove the barrel bushing "normally".
That seemed to work, probably because with the entire slide assembly off the frame, the FLGR can ride up a little and to the rear from where it normally stops against the barrel lug (about 1/16" which is what did the trick), thus allowing the slide spring to compress just a little more which in turn FINALLY allowed me to turn the barrel bushing and remove it.

At that point, the spring slides out the front, the FLGR will then come out as expected, and the barrel slides out the front.

So, I seem to have sort of a plan that works. It's not really that difficult other than that I was totally determined to NOT do any damage or scratch anything. I accomplished that so now that I have a method that works, I'm sure that I'll find it a LOT easier to field strip the more I do it.

This FLGR thing turns out to be no big deal once I got the way I've "always done it" out of my head.

Thanks for the coaching and handholding.

Carter

Page generated in 0.02121 seconds with 8 queries