View Single Post
Old January 8, 2011, 08:10 PM   #8
btmckinney

Congradulations on your taking the plunge into the world of bp rifle shooting!I have two percussion rifles at this time. One is a TC hawkin which is my favorite at least right now. Cannot remember ever poping a cap without shooting the load or for that matter a hang fire. The nipple on these guns sits really close to the powder chamber which I think helps dependability. Mine shoots round balls really well and press to fit lead bullets nearly as good but not quite. Bought this gun off of gun broker. The transaction went very well & I was not disappointed. Gave $300 for this gun & $20 shiping. In addition to the rifle, the seller sent $50 worth of accesories. He had told me that the rifle had only been shot about 30 times. It was indeed like new when received. I do however realize that not all transactions will go like mine did. Got lucky with a really good seller
My second rifle is a kit gun handed down to me when a close relative passed. Originally, it was purchased and assembled as a kit gun. It is Dixie gun works, Tennessee rifle with probably 1 twist in 60 inches. Its one of the pertiest guns I have ever saw and very fun to shoot & very accurate. The niple on this gun sits farther away from the chamber in a tube (cannot remember the name of the tube right now) with a cleanout screw in the end of that. This gun has hang fired a couple of times on me and I did cap on a deer a few weeks ago. Believe this was my fault for bringing the gun in and out of the cold. Because of my lack of "fun" time and trying to raise a family I chose percussions because of their dependability in a hunting situation. Some day when I have more quality time, I'd like to get a flintlock but probably would stick with a percussion for hunting. Got a bad flench when the gun doesnt shoot when it is supposed to
Hope my rambling has helped you make up your mind on a rifle. Just remember that black powder & substiutes are corrosive so keep the barrel clean and always use all natural cleaners and lubricantes. Happy shooting to you friend!

Page generated in 0.02271 seconds with 8 queries