View Single Post
Old October 25, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Driftwood Johnson

Saw a real Henry and an original Centerfire 1866 today

Howdy

Today I attended the gun show at the Big E in Springfield Mass. Once a year the Winchester Arms Collectors Association puts together some tables displaying many fine old Winchesters. One of the most interesting items was an original 1866 Centerfire carbine. I did a double take when I saw the title of the display. I was curious to see the centerfire firing pin. The owner was kind enough to open the lever so I could see the centerfire firing pin. We chatted a bit about those few centerfire 66s being sent to South America, but the owner of this rifle felt it had never left the States. Like a dope I forgot to take down the Serial Number, but there was a letter with the gun from Winchester, that stated it had been manufactured in 1891. Then the owner pulled a round out of his pocket. A friend had made up some 44 centerfire ammo for him from Starline 44 Russian cases. They were filled with Black Powder. I asked had he shot it, and he said yes he had.

Another table had many lever guns on display, including an original Henry. Again, dopey here forgot to write down the SN. The gun had the bronze frame, and there was no blue of any sort on the barrel, it was in the white. I always marvel at how much shorter the carrier is on the original 44 Rimfire Henries than the current centerfire replicas. All of the guns at this table had price tags on them, except the Henry. I asked how much he was asking for it, he said $26,000.

Page generated in 0.02384 seconds with 8 queries