View Single Post
Old October 15, 2002, 11:44 AM   #4
Turk

If you want a Jacketed Bullet the Sierra 210 will blow through a whitetail. About 10 years ago I tested loads for the 44 Magnum with the following handguns. Mag-Na-Port Stalker, DW 44, Ruger Red Hawk. Without exception the 240gr. Sierra gave me the best accuracy, MV etc. I was using Win. 296 and H-110. My loads were slightly top end but use current reloading manuals data and this combo will take deer. The 180, and 210 gr. Sierra’s didn’t give as good as accuracy but would be sufficient for a Whitetail. I know guys that use 357 Mag. and the bullet passes through the deer quite a bit of the time.

Concerning the cast bullets. They’re great especially in the heavy weights and gas checked you can push them faster less friction (bearing surface). I strive for a hole in and a hole out when hunting and the cast is superior in that catagory. I use cast (I’m a caster) for Whitetail but won’t hesitate to use the Sierra. My favorite whitetail gun is a Smith 57, 41 Mag. Shooting a 210gr. Keith type bullet.

This November I’ll be hunting elk with a 9.3x63mm rifle but if I get the opportunity to take one close in (50 yards) I’ll do it with my S&W 629 Classic 5” barrel shooting 310 gr. Keith type with GC fuelling it with H-110. I’m looking for a bone crusher type bullet. The LBT type cast bullets are another good selection.

Check out this web site for loading data a lot of good data.

www.sixguns.com

Have a good and safe hunt.

Turk

Page generated in 0.02301 seconds with 8 queries