Thread: M4 style .22 LR
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2012, 03:24 PM   #24
jsimmons

Quote:
M&P-15/22 is a real AR, just in .22 caliber.
Well, almost.

An 15-22 does not have a buffer tube or action spring, and the upper/lower are out of spec enough to not be able to mate with real AR parts (you can't put the upper on a AR-15 lower, and you can't use the 15-22 lower with an AR-15 upper). They did that specifically to disallow those combinations. While the forward assist appears to be functional, it doesn't have any affect on the weapon's ability to chamber a .22 cartidge.

No aftermarket barrels are available (and after three years, you would think there would be some), and the early rifles aren't threaded for flash suppressors. There is an adapter kit available that allows you to mount AR floating handguards but you have to ask yourself if a .22 is worth that kind of expenditure. I would aonly spend the money if the rifle was already a good shooter. If it's mediocre, dressing it up ain't gonna help it.

I have a 15-22, and if I had the money to spend over again, I'd buy a .22 upper that could be used on a spec AR-15 lower (probably a polymer lower to keep the cost and weight to a minimum), and mostly because of all the reasons I stated above. I would then have the added advantage of buying a better barrel and potentially having a more accurate rifle.

All that being said, the 15-22 is the best plastic purpose-built .22 AR-platform available (IMHO).

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries