View Single Post
Old September 17, 2000, 08:10 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Stevens 520, huh? I think that was model number of a military riot gun or "Trench" gun I had in 69 or 70.

General field stripping begins with front half removal.

Clear carefully--no shells in chamber or magazine, etc. Can't recall if you begin with action open or closed, and if closed, cocked or not. Try both ways.
Unscrew magazine tube as far as it will go. Pull slide handle toward muzzle as far as possible. Slide the barrel-mag assembly downward out of engagement with receiver. If stuck, you may have to Smack top rear of barrel to get the mortise joint loose.

Sorry, but I forget how disassembly goes from this point, but as I recall, it is pretty straight forward. Just remember to put all parts in ziplock bags and such, so you'll have all the parts when you take it to the gun smith for reassembly.

(NOTE FOR RICH--)
Incidentally, I probably ruined collector's value of my 520 shotgun when I drilled and tapped a hole in bottom rear of magazine tube frame. I put a 1/4-20, large, knurled head bolt in it. I could load magazine and run the bolt in, and then do the take-down with a loaded magazine. Had a little case for it, and it made a pretty neat package.

Seriously-- Good luck.
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Page generated in 0.02263 seconds with 8 queries