View Single Post
Old March 1, 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
CoachK

Successful Cow-Elk hunt

My brother and I went Elk hunting the past week and harvested a cow-elk and a russian boar. My brother was using a Winchester Model 70 7mm RemMag and 7mm Remington Magnum Vital-Shok Centerfire Rifle Cartridge, 175-Grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Bullets. After hiking around the mountin for about 5 miles and spooking a small herd twice, we were finally able to creep up on them and my brother took a 175 yard shot that hit her in the rear leg and tore a hole through it (missed the bones, tore the muscle). You would never have known she had a hole in one of her legs by the speed with which she ran off, leaking all the while. After another 2 mile healthy hike, we crept back up on the herd and spotted our wounded cow elk in a small field about 100 yards in front of us. I left my brother and began creeping (took me about 45 minutes to cover 100 yards) to the right, trying to flank them. As I reached my destination, the elk somehow sensed my presence and began running right at my brother! Once he located the wounded cow elk in his scope, she was about 30 yards from him and spotted him and began to cut to his right. He shot and nailed her (I'll try to attach the photo) just front of the shoulder on the neck. She took a few steps, tried to stand up on her back legs and turn around, then fell down.

It was a fantastic and exciting hunt! My brother and I have only ever hunted whitetail deer here in Alabama, so this was our first elk hunt and was absolutely fantastic! In our opinion, there are not words in the english language to describe just how good a fresh elk steak is when grilled to perfection on the open fire! We aren't really trophy hunters, so the cow elk was much better for us than a big 6 x 6 or something; We'll be eating elk for months....

As for the 7mm and elk hunting, it did just fine. The first bullet passed through the flesh and muscle of the right rear leg and grazed the inside of the left rear leg. The shot that did her in, which was about a 30 yard shot, left a small entrance wound and no exit wound. All in all, I can't imagine any other gun doing a better job that the ol' Model 70 7mm RemMag.

I've got to get back to work, but I'll post again about the Russian Boar that I shot with my .300 WinMag. I feel like I shot my Russain in the most unique of circumstances, but who knows.... maybe it's a common way to shot them....!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Cow-Elk.gif (77.9 KB, 65 views)

Page generated in 0.03861 seconds with 9 queries