View Single Post
Old November 18, 2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I agree with most of it. I have some slight quibbles:

1. But when there's a long and ongoing pattern of human rights abuses, and flagrant abuses of power that's when people have the right and duty to abolish the existing government and found a new one that will be more responsive to their needs and more likely to respect their rights.

I prefer this - the examples are not really necessary and don't reach the level of the need for the proposed action as normal politics will take care of them. For example, some might think that Bush cheated to get in. Wasn't worth a civil war over - his paradigm is gone. Some think that Obama isn't legally qualified (I do think he is qualified) - so vote him out. Don't need a civil war.

2. The first statement is excellent but it is contrary to social conservative views - if you meant that - that fine as it is quite liberatarian.

Quote:
This means that all human beings have a right to live their own lives, to do whatever pleases them as long as it doesn't interfere with the basic rights of others, and to be free to make their own decisions about their own lives.
Proscriptions against sexuality, some drug usage, some literary and media expressions are clearly the bread and butter of a section of American politics.

3. Do we think that armed rebellion is justified by those who feel Proposition 8 in California? In theory, that's a violation of their human rights. The gun world hasn't really come up with many examples of what to fight for except for taking guns away. Would opposition to the Iraq War which was based in part on untruths a reason for armed rebellion? Bill Ayers is seen as a terrorist as using force against the Viet Nam war. But Unintended Consequences, the book, proposed violence over gun laws. American Handgunner called it a masturbatory fantasy.

Where is the line that justifies the horror another civil war would bring?

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; November 18, 2008 at 04:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03366 seconds with 8 queries