View Single Post
Old March 8, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
TexasSeaRay

A public apology to Massad Ayoob.

A few days ago, I partook in a discussion involving the issue of handloads/reloads and their legal defensibility in the event that they should ever have to be used in an actual self-defense shooting.

Another poster mentioned Mas Ayoob's testimony and views in regards to this issue. I stated that "I had no use for (Mr.) Ayoob's views because of some BS he pulled on a sister agency during a trial."

Mr. Ayoob PM'd me and inquired as to the nature of the event. I will not disclose the event--Mr. Ayoob can if he so desires, but I would suspect that can of worms is best left in the history pile.

After a polite and professional discussion, Mr. Ayoob disclosed his nature of involvement in this case. His version of events parallels to a "T" the recollections of a longtime friend, going all the way to basic training, who I talked with this morning and who is still an FBI agent today.

I very much regret allowing myself to believe the innuendo and gossip that is often times all too prevelant in the law enforcement community rather than seeking the facts, as every person who has ever pinned on a badge and sworn the oath was trained to do.

This case and Mr. Ayoob's involvement in it was the only issue I had brief with regarding Mas Ayoob. I have always respected his dedication to the shooter, the training and safety and preparedness of our law enforcement community, and his professionalism in dealing with criticism.

And while I had disagreement with Mr. Ayoob because of my erroneous perception, it did not stop me from recommending his readings and seminars to those who I felt would benefit from partaking in them.

Mr. Ayoob, I am appreciative and grateful for you taking the time to visit with me on this issue--which, as you know better than anyone, goes back almost thirty years. I have long since left the business, but this is a nice thorn that I can now remove from my backside. I sincerely apologize for offering an opinion not based in firsthand knowledge, but rather in squadroom bitch sessions. Your professional, polite and patient explanation of your involvement has earned my respect. I wish you all the best, and thank you for all you've done for our community.

With best regards,

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.

Last edited by TexasSeaRay; March 8, 2008 at 02:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.05521 seconds with 8 queries