View Single Post
Old July 28, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5
hammie

@Mosin-M: I clicked on your link and viewed the u-tube video. Yes, the cross hairs are slightly canted. However, there are no turrets on the left side of the scope to interfere with cartridge ejection, and so I don't see a reason why the cross hairs couldn't be erected. I think it's just a sloppy scope mounting job.

Also, below the video window there is some Q&A and a reply to one of the questions stated that the mount required no permanent modifications to the rifle. But I'm just repeating the dialog, and I don't know first hand if that's completely true.

"Gwillikers" brings up the concept of the scout scope and thanks go to him for bringing it up. That's an option to learn about and consider, and is often used in difficult mounting situations, or, of course, on scout rifles. Personally, I don't like them. I've only used them twice, and only briefly on borrowed scout rifles. They do have a longer eye relief and so there is no "black circle". The problem I had was that the viewing field for my eye was not very deep or very wide. I spent more time trying to find the correct alignment than I spent shooting. It was frustrating. Also, a scout scope is a specialty scope and it usually is not cheap.

I know devotees of Jeff Cooper and the scout rifle concept will respond that I just needed more practice to get used to the set up or the scope I used was not the best quality. And they will probably be right. Regardless, I still don't like a forward mounted scope.

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 8 queries