View Single Post
Old March 4, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
AtlanticRadio

Problem reassembling Ruger P345

Hey TFL,

I apologize in advance for the length, but I want to give ya'll as much information as possible as I humbly ask for assistance. I've encountered a pretty frustrating issue while trying to reassemble my grandfather's Ruger P345 after a basic field strip.

Background:
I'm 25 and have 2 months of experience with firearms. No one else in my family shoots or has an interest in it (my grandfather passed away). After going to the range a few times to shoot the Ruger, I knew that I needed to field strip and clean it. That part went smoothly, field strip was easy, cleaning etc, and the initial reassembly. I wanted to practice the field strip/reassembling process and proceeded to do so 3 times with no problems. I guess I should have stopped at lucky number 3 .

Issue:
During the reassembling process I:
1. Replaced the barrel into its rearward locked position
2. Put the camblock and recoil spring assembly into position against the barrel lug
3. While attempting to put the slide back into position, either I lost my grip on the slide or the spring moved (it happened really quickly and it was last night).
4. The slide is now fit back onto the frame, but the (don't know the technical term) rod underneath the barrel is stuck (really REALLY stuck) exposing the rod about an inch and a half.
5. The chamber is raised just high enough to stick with the slide while attempting to pull the slide backwards. It's possible to force it to stay forward (with 3 and 1/2 hands and sheer willpower), but it prevents me from doing anything useful.
6. The hammer will still cock and return to the fired position and the slide will move to the rear, but once the hammer is cocked the slide moves back and forth freely with no resistance. The barrel and rod stay stuck with the slide while moving it back and forth. If I manage to fit the nail file from my multitool into the breach I can force the barrel forward, but it is really difficult because the spring is fighting the movement.
7. The trigger functions and moves the hammer as it should.

I'm including several pictures to help illustrate my situation. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. The only useful tool I have readily accessible is a Leatherman Sidekick. I also have a sense of humor, so feel free to poke fun and/or haze the new guy. I've lurked the forum pretty regularly in the past two months, and will really enjoy joining the community. Especially when I ask all of my beginner/noob questions.

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if you need anymore info or pics.

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

Page generated in 0.02538 seconds with 9 queries