View Single Post
Old October 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #138
pax

Look, I know it's difficult for some folks to wrap their heads around this, but just because something is arguably "good" doesn't mean there should be a law requiring you to do it.

Exercise is "good." It'll help you live longer, stay healthier, spend fewer health care dollars. Does that mean I support a state requirement that forces you to get out and do calisthenics along with your neighbors 7 mornings a week? Hell no!

Eating more vegetables is "good." It'll help you live longer. Does that mean I support a state law requiring you to purchase and consume x number of vegetables a week? Hell no!

Just because something is arguably good doesn't mean the state should require you to do it.

I'm sorry some people thought I was arguing FOR state-required training when I said that such state-required training doesn't do much toward helping you stay alive during a violent encounter. I'm sorry that it confused some folks when I said that accidental-shooting rates simply don't bear out the notion that everyone is less safe when a state allows concealed carry but doesn't require training. What I meant was this: Laws requiring training before allowing people to concealed carry are sometimes politically expedient, but they aren't based on any rational measure.

Now, setting that firmly aside. How much training YOU should receive thus isn't really about the laws. It's about YOUR personal situation and YOUR personal sense of morals / ethics / duty.

Here's my point:

If your morals would require you to intervene to save the live of another person, you need to know more than just how to pull out a gun and yank the trigger. Perhaps a lot more.

And if you want to stay out of jail, avoid making really-really-really stupid decisions in the heat of the moment, and perhaps avoid doing something so stupid that it gets someone you care about killed, you'll get real training regardless of what your state does or does not require.

That's pretty much all I said.

pax

Page generated in 0.02499 seconds with 8 queries