View Single Post
Old May 24, 2012, 09:04 AM   #22
kraigwy

Quote:
Watch a Gabe Suarez video on gunfighting and see if standing there while acquiring a nice sight picture and squeeeeeezing the trigger is realistic and likely to get you anything other than killed. Try that in the wrong situation, and you could obsorb more lead than the Dalton gang in Coffeyville, Kan.
NOBODY is saying use Bullseye exclusively, we're saying use Bullseye to develop fundamentals and relearn/practice.

Along the same line, thinking you can always use two hands is silly. I've discussed this with Suarez a couple times (before he band me from his web site).

Try to get a good two hand grip after someone knocked you on your butt at an ATM or a similar scenario. Try getting a two hand grip while your crawling through a window.

Bill Jordon was mentioned. Yes he was a bullseye shooter, he was also a combat shooter. But Drawing and shooting with one hand AFTER he had the fundamentals down.

No one teaches " squeeeeeezing the trigger", they teach smooth activation of the trigger, there is no law that say smooth cant be fast. Again look at ISU rapid fire shooters. They don't "squeeeeeze" the trigger, but they do activate it smoothly. If they didn't they couldn't get five shots off in 3 seconds on five different targets at 25 meters and still hit the target.

Bullseye teaches fundamentals that build muscle memory that carry through on all aspects of pistol/revolver shooting, even two handed shooting.

Some of you seem to say we want all shooter to step up to the line with a pistol box, line up or scopes, blacken or sights, before each and every shooting encounter.

No sir, we're talking about the fundamentals taught in bullseye, which includes proper grip, sight alignment, and "SMOOTH" trigger control and follow though.

But excluding stance (taught in Bullseye), The stance should be practices setting down, laying down, crawling toward cover, etc. etc.

Point shooting is necessary at bad breath distance where you use your free hand to the face distracting the target while you draw and shoot from the hip.

If you have time to get a two handed grip, you have time to get on your sights.

Its not the first shot that wins a gun fight, its the first hit, and you don't get hits without fundamentals.

I'll give you a real life example of what I'm talking about. Season before last, I was antelope hunting. Saw a critter and decided on a stalk. While crawling throught the grass, trying to avoid cactus I came nose to nose with a rattler. I had one hand free, rifle was in the other and I'm sort of leaning on it. I was able to draw my revolver and because of fundamentals learned in Bullseye I was able to quickly dispatch the snake before he got me.

If I'd have turned loose the rifle he probably would have tried to get me, I couldn't use the rifle, it was out of position and besides I don't carry a round in the chamber while hunting.

But I do practice drawing from weird postions and I do practice bullseye with my 642. And mainly I do a huge majority of my carry revolver practice with one hand. The exception is using two hands practicing on hostage targets, again with the fundamentals gained in bullseye shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.04175 seconds with 8 queries