View Single Post
Old November 1, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Mosin44az

All those are good choices from good companies. Either toss a coin or choose the Glock 19 (my own home defense gun is a Gen 3 glock 19, by the way, I also own a Ruger SR40c and have owned a CZ 75B).

Especially if you get a Gen 3 Glock, I would rate it somewhat better in quality than the Ruger, my SR40c has been problematic. Although Ruger service is excellent. But for a first/only gun, the Glock has the edge. Smith has great service too, by the way.

Since you are new to guns the simpler Glock may be preferable to the DA/SA FN and CZ, which have two trigger pulls to master, along with having to remember to decock when you are done shooting each time.. It takes time to learn this--I've never really felt comfortable with the two trigger pulls of a traditional DA/SA--one trigger pull is better, especially for a newer shooter.

The CZ as I recall you also have to manually lower the hammer to decock, an additonal complication.

I don't think the CZ has light rail either. For home defense I find the mounted tac light to be much easier to deal with than a flashlight held in the off hand. MUCH easier to shoot accurately. You do have to train and observe all safety measures if you mount the light on the gun--because you are obviously pointing a gun at everything you put the light on, if you mount the light on the gun (which is again, my preference).

The Smith has a good reputation as well, and you might find its trigger more comfortable than the Glock's which tends to irritate me if I shoot hot loads or have a long range session.

Maybe see which you like better, the M & P or the Glock, and go with that.

Springfield XD or XDm would also be good choices, ergonomically better than the Glock. Much better trigger surface, and better grip feel.

The Ruger P95 is also excellent, but again has the issue of the DA/SA trigger.

Page generated in 0.02347 seconds with 8 queries