View Single Post
Old September 18, 2007, 12:03 PM   #6
gb_in_ga

Depends on if it is a "peacetime" or "wartime" situation.

Wartime is wartime. You do what needs done. Using DF against innocent civilians or subdued prisoners is not included. In case of invasion or civil war, I find it difficult to believe that I wouldn't be a partisan for the "good" side that stands for freedom, liberty and such. Meaning, I'd be a combatant, albeit an "irregular" one since I'm too old to go back in the Army.

Peacetime (or non-war SHTF) is different. I'd use DF in defense of myself, my family and perhaps (given the situation) my property against violent attack or in the case of property against destruction or theft. Yes, that includes theft, since it is quite possible that a burglar/looter who is surprised by me may turn and attack. The use of DF must cease when the threat has ended; be it by incapacitation of the BG or if the BG ceases to be a threat by way of surrender or retreat. This is me defending my castle.

It is also possible that I'd use DF if I were to come upon a violent felony in progress that does not involve myself, my family or my property if I determine that A> bodily harm or death of an innocent may be imminent and B> there is no other way for anyone else (such as law enforcement) to stop the attack. Again, the use of DF must cease when the threat has ended; be it by incapacitation of the BG or if the BG ceases to be a threat by way of surrender or retreat, or if LE were to show up on the scene. This is me being a "Good Samaritan".

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 8 queries