View Single Post
Old October 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #20
tirod

I just tried to duplicate this, and ran across some points:

With the mag in, loaded with 7, and the slide lever engaged, using Hornady CD. Tripped the lever, the cartridge nose dived into the ramp, where the flat nose with the plastic plug hit at nearly 90 degrees to the ramp. Got it to chamber, ejected, second round goes right in.

Reloaded, 7 in, pulled the slide back fully and released, it chambered.

A primary thought is that the little extra rear movement is adding enough momentum to keep the round from nose diving.

From the owners manual: 3. Pull the slide back fully and release, allowing the slide to fly forward. In the section on reloading when the slide locks back: 5. Release the slide by:a. Pressing down on the slide stop or, b. Pulling back on the slide and release

Other guns are noted for having issues using the slide release when loading, Glock comes to mind. It's been said you must rack the slide to load the first round. Using the slide release may cause it to jam. These guns may have a slide release, but SIG isn't saying you can use it to load the gun in every situation. Just as with other guns, it's dependent on the round, the gun, and the operator. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. No guarantee.

Along with all the loading and ejecting, I'm picking up scratches down the length of the cases from something under the slide. If it's marking it, it's a friction point. The cartridge is crimped, which is keeping the round from setting back.

What we may be experiencing is a combination of spring tension in the magazine spring, the recoil spring, and how things can change with just a half inch of slide travel. I speculate this may not be as likely with round nose FMJ.

That experiment remains for tonight, I've got a floor to tile.

Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 8 queries