View Single Post
Old September 12, 1999, 09:27 AM   #5
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

I'm going to put in my $.02 here. My advise would be to can idea of a vault idea. Get a "real" safe. Yes, I know they are expensive (fairly) but....

Your safe will be a one time purchase... that is unless you need a bigger one in the future.

They provide greater security and additional protection against attack/fire.

The way things are going politicaly you may be required to have one eventually (either by the Govt, maybe your home owners insurence, etc).

Don't just think of it as a "gun safe". If you open my safe you see the following contense- Handguns, Longguns, Ammo, Jewlery, Important Papers (Firearm Records, Birth Cert, SSN Cards, Legal Doc, Stock Certs, Other Miss. Papers), my Camera Equipment (when not in use), Colectable things (knives, coins, etc). Now this is what is normally in there... if I am going out of town for any extended period of time additional stuff gets put into it for that period.

They fill up fast!!

Now, you said 2 Rifles and 2 Handguns. Lets just say that each cost $250.00 each (on an average). A small safe with firelineing goes for about that (give or take). However, when looking to buy a safe (one time purchase) think like this. Take the guns you currently have, add the guns you plan on buying in the future, double that amout. Purchase the next larger safe that will hold those (remember all those ungun related things that will go in).

I went from a small (60" x 24" x 18") (approx 450 lbs) safe that cost like $700 to a large (72" x 40" x 26")(approx 1400 lbs) one that cost just over $2k in three years. The little one just filled (and I mean pack to the gills) up too quick (and not from gun purchases!). I figured what the hell, one time purchase.

They are also a fairly good investment. I only "lost" like $50 when I sold my small one (which went toward the purchase of my big one).

The best price I found (and you have to take into accout shipping) was with Southern Security out of TN (I lived in NC at the time). Their phone # is 1-800-251-9992 or 423-376-6297. You may want to give them a call as they also send out a great pamphlet on what to look for in a safe (pro & cons).

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Page generated in 0.03631 seconds with 8 queries