View Single Post
Old February 24, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
wicker

Unless you have an extremely large bulge I don't believe you to be seeing anything odd. Right now, in front of me sits 250 loaded 4acp rounds loaded with Lee dies. They are finished except for the final step. The Lee Factory Crimp die. There is a 2 to 4 thou variance between the lower case and the slight bulge up. Also in front of me is 50 finished rounds, completed with the FCD. They measure half to one thou variance between the lower case and above the bottom of the bullet.

Just for fun I checked a box of factory Wolf and WWB. They both run a half to 1 1/2 thou between the base and above the "slight buldge". (My home rolled, built on cheapo Lee equipment rounds are actually more consistant that Winchesters factory ammo!) If this is all that you are seeing I'd say your just fine. If you're running a larger dia. it's time to buy a Lee FCD in 45acp.

Whenever in doubt about dimensions I grab calipers/micrometer and some examples of factory ammo along with load books and compare. It's worked every time.
BTW, you said your seating in a seperate step from crimping with RCBS dies? I thought RCBS only made 3 die sets? If so, how are you doing this? Just curious.

Page generated in 0.03244 seconds with 8 queries