View Single Post
Old October 23, 2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

New to Bow Hunting.

Traditional archers tend to be very much of the same attitude as traditional muzzle loader shooters. Every one else is doing it wrong and has no skill.

The theoretical disadvantages of modern equipment are like a ghosts. Somebody always believes in them but they never materialize.

I've had exactly one equipment failure in over 20 years of bow hunting. I've never had to tune a bow, never had a broken string or cable, never had a "screw come loose".

Long bow and recurves are so awesome, that's why everybody kept using them when compounds came out... right?

Traditional equipment is extremely difficult to use well. Most shooters will never shoot as well at 10 as they could at 30, even 40, with a compound.

Traditional equipment is for extremely dedicated shooters and entirely inappropriate for most shooters. Most will never put in the time and effort that is required to shoot a deer at even 10 yards with a traditional bow, say nothing of 15,20,25 yards.

Take a peak at competition groups for both styles. Those are the best, most dedicated shooters of both styles. Tell me how the groups compare between the two. Then tell me you can't find a "weekend warrior" with a compound that can't outshoot (or very nearly) the best longbow shooters in that competition.

The only way I'd start an average, new hunter on a traditional bow would be if I wanted them frustrated and giving up the sport.

Page generated in 0.02029 seconds with 8 queries