View Single Post
Old April 2, 2010, 11:30 PM   #22
CajunPowder

The longest post I will ever make :)

I want to be thorough as I've been welcomed warmly by all of your participation, knowledge, expertise and wisdom.

I will be taking some pictures of this 3rd revolver that I've ordered this weekend and will be seeking some more feedback on it from range buddies, etc ...

Doc Hoy:

If that was the best one out of more than 40, then we are left thinking of what quality might the other units be from that lot? Out of the box, we might have to 'throw' those revolvers at the barn door. And if any of the pieces fell off over the course of it's 25 yard flight I'd never find them. The upside is that powder and boolits would be less of an expense.

The area under the topstrap is a real mess, it's worse than any of you might want to imagine, it almost has the texture of rough cement. The inner surfaces of the frame on the first revolver I ordered from "C's", (the Pietta), had considerable filing marks, and then the same was observed on the first Uberti I ordered from "T's". I could have worked all that out with a dremel and if I'm going to be serious about any of this I think its time to acquire a dremel and some basic accessories.

As to the boar hunting, that's a challenging way to get bacon for breakfast, (but a time saver), ... angling for the best strike that will put the animal down, (as well as dress it at the same time), all on the run while avoiding the other members of the sounder is quite efficient. Perhaps that's why the natives tend to be so low in body fat. They might have really good lemondade over there and plenty of it.

madcratebuilder:

After a look at this 2nd Uberti, (and the first experience which was a Pietta), I can see the design of the loading lever and the history of it's design do lend themselves to some wiggle, especially if they are going to be used often. Thanks for putting it in a nutshell, I will consider them more as kits from now on, that seems to be the basic nature of the beast. On this third revolver I've ordered, the rear sight assembly seems to be in good shape and wether I keep this one or not I will watch this issue carefully and obtain a tiny screwdriver to work with it. After sighting the keeper in, I will blue loctite them per your and other's consistent advice on this issue.

mykeal:

The bolt issue isn't tragically serious and it does index well enough, but it certainly does not lock up tight and I expect after a month and a few hundred rounds I will regret not getting it setup tight to start. It certainly is peening the edges of all the bolt notches, (as it is falling exactly on the edges of all the notches).

My expectations are too high and I've considered pursuing the purchase of a Pedersoli 1858 pattern but then I've got the issue of a conversion cylinder and what might be a wretched expense to make that happen on the Pedersoli, and my expectations might again be set too high even for a Pedersoli when shelling out upwards of $900 for a new Pedersoli. I'm settling down into that "kit mentality" and I think all in all my funds might be better spent on some basic tools and some woodshed here in these forums and CAScity.

That's good feedback on cleaning, I'd pictured it as more of a chore than it probably is.

horseman308:

Thanks for continuing to confirm the issues with the loading lever. Interestingly enough, the third revolver I've obtained from "D's" has a loading lever that is tighter at the hinge with the ramming rod than any piece I've ever heard of, it's almost sticky and creaky in it's operation as if it might be "too tight". I'm sure it would loosen up with some use; and there's one issue to put it into the keeper category as I'm moving more and more into the "Kit" mentality and the "finish it yourself" attitude.

The biggest issue now is the peening on the edges of the cylinder bolt notches and the lack of tight lock up.

I have considered a road trip to Texas Jack's in Fredericksburg, Texas as they are the "Cimarron" vendor of high regard, (and some mystique), for Uberti. I expect I might find a very nice unit there for inspection. I should call them ... They are a little over 7 hours drive by car from me so it's quite a trip but could be done - there and back in a day. Such is my passion for a nice 1858 and to start all of this off the right way. They are open on both Saturday and Sunday. It would be a fine trip in this nice spring weather and a good excuse to clean out the Northstar, (whistles Dixie).

If they were still making ROA's new, I would have snatched one up in an instant, and that purchase might be for later. What attracts me most to the Uberti Remington 1858 is the installation base, it's one of the most popular of the BP revolvers and parts are readily available for it. The knowledge base is very widespread as well. I'm also attracted to it's historical look and feel. I shot a cylinder full of smoke out of one of these as a young teen with my dad and his buddy, a real original in fine condition, I won't forget that day.

[email protected]:

Thank you for that exceptional picture! What length is that barrel I wonder?

I'm noticing that prices on both the Uberti and the Pietta's have gone up considerably in the last two years. I think I'm seeing at least a 25% - 40% increase in prices since 2007. I certainly would be willing to put an additional $300 over the long course to have a super duper example of a '58.

Hardcase:

Yes, it sounds like you were lucky. LOL! Took it apart and put it back together again. I'm looking forward to becoming that knowledgeable about these Remmies. Gee, I guess I'll need another now, LOL! I am modifying my expectations a great deal. Low standards can be a good thing! I get a lot more dates that way and whose to say it's not a wise idea, yeah? I have just begun ... to buy.

Hawg Haggen:

Buy the ROA from [email protected], box it up, and send it my way, I'm getting real good at paying postage anyway! You'll have plenty of change left over from that $20 GOLD piece.

zippy13:

Thank you for the welcome. I was unable to inspect the barrel as I had vomited on it. Perhaps Pietta was working on a design for the kind of gun that shoots around a corner! The saftey notch thing really bothers me, it's like ... HERE! hold on to this lit stick o' dyneemite! Don't move now! ...
When I pulled the first Pietta out of the box and got down to inspecting it, I actually got mad for a little while, I said to myself ... what did I ever do to those Italian guys! ? !

Hawg:

I think I've entered this thing in a very lucky way. The only BP revolver that I like at all is the Remmie. I really, really like the authenticity of it, and I'm going to keep telling myself that because I can't afford this hobby if I branch out.

================

Thank you all for your feedback and support as I dive into this ... hobby. And with the way our fine President is handling the economy and the cheerleader is guarding the Texas border, the revolver actually qualifies as an excellent surival tool and provides some peace of mind. I've got plenty of layers of chicken and swine dirt available down the road that have been percolating for more than 50 years.

After more 'think and look' I'm seeing that the hole tapped for the screw that fixes the rear sight assembly onto the topstrap passes all the way through the topstrap, (which I don't think was necessary but perhaps a matter of expedience). The end of the screw does not protrude out of the hole and the end of the screw was not shaved or cut off, (the screw is not long enough to warrant tapping the hole completely through the topstrap).

This hole in the underside of the topstrap worries me over the longer term as it may gather powder residue and moisture and over time the threads on the end of the screw will begin to degrade and rust as well as wick moisture up further into the hole ... so I think that hole needs to be sealed. I will watch for this issue on the exchange and on future target models.

I am going to return this one for an exchange as the edges of the cylinder bolt notches are peened from simply cocking the hammer, there's way too much daylight under the front sight assembly and it does not lock up tight, and other issues as discussed.

I did not get the tight lockup on the cylinder I wanted even though I was willing to let some cosmetic issues go. What I got was some very real cosmetic and finishing issues on what might be the cream of the crop model, (the stainless steel target model), of the cream of the crop replica maker, (Uberti).
So no lock up and no increased mechanical quality in trade-offs for the cosmetic issues.

I'm paying $375.00 for this revolver, it's reduced in price from a regular price of $395.00. I'm willing to pay another shipping charge for them to have another try at providing me with a cylinder that locks up tight.

Just food for thought:

As there is no 'V' machined into the topstrap for a rear sight channel ... which was an interesting piece of information to come by through all of this. In some state of wishful thinking, (that the piece has no 'V' groove cut into the topstrap), might make the topstrap on these models a bit stronger and might make the topstrap on these models a better candidate to mount a scope upon.

In summation of this experience and in thanks for the good feedback I've recieved from veteran members of this forum:

1. Any of these Italian reproductions will require some degree of final finishing, tuning and setup out of the box; that all of this is more of a 'kit' than a fine, finished product by any means, (out of the box), is the best attitude to take. Pure luck is the only element getting you anywhere near perfection 'out of the box'.

2. Replicas "on sale" are "on sale" for a reason.

3. If a vendor has over 40 units of a particular model in stock and some of those are over 2 years old, there's a reason for that overstock.

4. If a vendor is willing to handpick, or cherrypick for you, that could be an issue that is not necessarily in your favor.

5. If you get an obvious lemon from a vendor, move on. When you get an almost acceptable unit, exchange and hope for better and stick with that vendor to work things out.

6. By and large Uberti gives you a better product to work with towards a really nice shooter but Pietta might not be far behind.

7. Keep your expectations low, your tools sharp and your powder dry.

8. People are nice here. (and well armed).

Page generated in 0.02471 seconds with 8 queries