View Single Post
Old June 27, 2012, 10:42 PM   #11
ltc444

My experience with "monitored services" has been less than satisfactory. Specifically, my brother in law had a system installed by ADT. The system included fire and intrusion. He was died in a fire when his home burned. The only response ADT made was when they contacted me, I was his emergency contact, when he had not paid his bill for three months.

Harbor freight has some reasonably priced wireless Video systems. Their quality is somewhat iffy. When you find a set up that works they will run for several years. I went through three systems until I got one that works. It has been operational for three years.

Simple noise makers such as an empty soft drink can with 13 pennies inside with the hole taped over is effective. Simply place them in a position were the intruder will knock them over. They are also effective in training your dog not to get up on the counters.

CAUTION: Any bars or strong closer devices must be easily removable by the occupants otherwise dieting in a fire is a real possibility. Murphy's laws of ware are applicable.

If the enemy can't get in you can't get out.

Big dogs, unless trained, are intimidating but easily dispatched by a competent intruder. Small yappy dust mop ankle biters (small terrier breeds) are excellent targeting systems. They yip and run and bite at the intruder. The intruder cannot reach them as they retreat under and around obstacles and furniture.

Good luck on you project.

Page generated in 0.02963 seconds with 8 queries