View Single Post
Old January 16, 2008, 04:53 AM   #18
Austin Cowart

ah

Alrighty then. Ill agree that I prefer a plain edge to modern serrations. I do believe that as there many many different types of knife blades there are just as many edges. It’s all about what works for you and what you are using it for. There is a reason the human body and every carnivore has serrated teeth. It’s for tearing and ripping at the same time we have flat teeth as well for gentle crushing in the back of our mouths thus serving another purpose. The same is for blades. We have saw blades for ripping and tearing and we have plain edge scrapples for delicate and precise cutting. I’m not arguing this point that debate is over. I do not appreciate though you referring to the professional cheffing community though in a manner that leads other readers to believe that we act like cave men beating our tools against things and misusing them in ways that they were not meant to be used especially 200 plus dollar ones. You are simply asking TFL formites most with no knowledge of the proper use of kitchen knives to come in and abuse a very nice and very expensive one. I applaud you allowing that sous chef to use her for a few days but if he is a real sous chef he would know how to respect the knife and at least do a bit of maintenance oh her every night just as I do mine. I don’t know if I would trust the knife around the number of line cooks though that think it just looks cool and would look even better in their home kitchen. Now why not hybrid polish a nice tanto or wakizashi made by hanwei or kris cutlery and keep a few tatami mats rolled and soaking and allow formites to try their hands at a little tamishigiri. That would be a great demonstration oh how a Japanese blade it suppose to function. This has the potential of really breaking out into another huge debate and I do not want to start and unpleasant topics. I would love to discuss this more I honestly would because it is something that is very near and dear to my heart and I would love to refer everyone that is interested in the pursuit of knowledge about blades over to www.swordforum.com some of the best blade smiths in the united states are members there and all myths about all types of blades are constantly dispelled. Also if anyone wants to watch torture tests of blades pick up a copy of cold steels More Proof and Sword Proof they are great if you can stand watching a big guy in short shorts cutting things.

Cheers
Austin

Page generated in 0.02921 seconds with 8 queries