View Single Post
Old March 17, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

Second (or third) the motion...

Cassera--You want to choose what YOU want in a cleaning kit, not what Outers or some other company decides to sell you. I agree with Dmazur and Twins on the contents of that kit.

2 things I'd add: (1) a used fishing tackle box to hold all the "stuff." You will accumulate more stuff as you continue shooting, so extreme compactness is not to be sought. In my area, fishing tackle boxes are to be had commonly at garage sales. Used ones are cheap. I use used fishing tackle boxes as cases for lots of things that have nothing to do with fishing. (2) a case for the one-piece cleaning rod--You need something to protect it so's it won't get bent. I make cases for mine out of a length of PVC pipe, with a closed cap at one end, and a screw-on cap at the other. Diameter of the pipe is determined by the size of the rod handle. PVC pipe, fittings, and the "welding" glue for same are to be had at any hardware store, for not too much $$. Just one trip-and-fall, or one shift of the junk in your car, producing a bent rod, and you've lost considerably more than the cost of the PVC piping.

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.02078 seconds with 8 queries