View Single Post
Old March 10, 2014, 09:32 PM   #8
Bart B.

Read #17 in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=click+190+44

Your Garand may have shot a round half full of Bullseye pistol powder. That's what happened to an old low number M1903 folks couldn't destroy with a case packed full and compressed 4895 under 200 gr. bullets. It's receiver flew apart in much the same way.

One squib load where the bullet left the case was an Eley Tenex .22 match rifmire round in my Anschutz 1911 prone gun. When it fired, the sound was muffled but the rifle jumped about normally. No bullet trace to the target was seen through the scope. Got out of prone, pulled the bolt then pushed a cleaning rod down the bore. The bullet had stopped about 2 inches short of the 27 inch barrel's muzzle. Cleaned the bore then resumed shooting. Later, I emailed Eley in England and asked for a monetary refund for that grain of powder I paid for but was never shipped to the retailer I bought it from. The Eley rep laughed and said I should try to get from the USA distributor as they chose to buy that lot of ammo over several others. We both had a good laugh over it.

The other squib was military 9mm that only went click in my Browning Hi Power. Pulling the slide back brought the empty case with it. Couldn't see the breech through the muzzle end; it's bullet had jammed into the rifling. Removed the barrel then my wooden from my kit got hammered with my staple gun into it and drove that blackened-butt bullet back out.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 10, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.02799 seconds with 8 queries