View Single Post
Old November 14, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Baba Louie

Felons gun rights restored?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/us...un-rights.html
Quote:
Under federal law, people with felony convictions forfeit their right to bear arms. Yet every year, thousands of felons across the country have those rights reinstated, often with little or no review.
Yet if I understand things correctly, the ATF states they have no funding to review restoration of this right and so it remains... untouched by that agency.

Does this only affect purchase from FFLs?

The NYT article makes it appear to be a common everyday occurance, depending on State law.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the article (slanted or no? ), your State's POV or legal status and if anyone could educate me as to the Fed/ATFs position, I'd appreciate learning more. I've always thought once your time has been done as a former convicted felon, some rights were lost, some retained. Much to learn as I get older.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries