View Single Post
Old November 28, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Arizona Fusilier

Need a Buffalo Gun!

I have a completely unplanned and unforseen opportunity to hunt Buffalo in New Mexico next year (sorry, I don't have many other details on this right now). I have absolutely nothing up to this hunting task; what a great opportunity to buy another gun!

Obviously, I'm looking for some advice on a buffalo gun. For now, assume price is no object. Really looking to hear from those of you who might have some relevant experience. When you reply, see if you can address the following three concepts:

1. The ideal cartridge/platform for just buffalo.
2. A good catridge for buffalo, but also versatile for other game/applications.
3. A "cowboy" option; I'm really thinking about getting into CAS, and it would be cool to justify the expense of a new weapon by covering this base at the same time. After all, they hunted buffalo, right? Good time to get a "Quigley" gun?!

An additional question, sort of related to #2., since I don't own a hunting grade 30.06 and would eventually like to get one; is this cartridge, loaded with the heaviest of bullets, up to the task of buffalo? I would think that it is the absolute "floor" for this species, but obviously I'd like to hear from others.

And thanks ahead of time, everyone.

Page generated in 0.02330 seconds with 8 queries