View Single Post
Old March 2, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
.351winchester

Savage vs. Ruger Scout, and Optics

Well, my tax return is burning a hole in my pocket and at present do not own one firearm, again. I have a modest 'wish list' of guns, and though it would probably be wise to get autos first before any ban happen again.
But I for some reason really want a turnbolt scout rifle (real reason-.308 battle rifles start at a grand).
Due to limited funds, the Steyr is out, and custom Model Sevens too. Not into Mauser conversions. Now that Savage is making their Scout again, that should be the obvious choice. But the M-77 Fronteir...really grabbed me. But looks arent everything I guess. Savage's scout has the adjustable trigger, and lower price, and reccomendation from Boston T. Party, great BUIS (and full radius). Downsides- refinishing will be a must, and having to use a clunky harris bipod ( I've seen a custom aftermarket 77 stock, which has and integral bipod and even spare mag storage in the stock). The Ruger I don't know much about, it felt and looked good, has a strong action, but no irons.
(While writing this, decided on the Savage)

Now just curious what glass you Scout shooters and handcannon hunters use for optics.
Leupold and Burris Ballistic Plex tubes come reccomended and T/C recoil proof...any others I should know about? Anything with a illuminated donut reticle? What kind of prices are we talking? I know less than nothing about scopes. I have never owned a boltgun, and never really took to using traditional mounted scopes either. But I think this would make a good general purpose rifle for me, especially since I plan to start whitetail hunting again, next season. Could really use scope advice. I would like to learn to shoot accurately to 500 yards, I know this isn't the type of rig to become a rifleman with, but would like to make the most of the range (only have owned rifles in .223).

I want to pick up a SKS (or Nagant carbine) too for a centerfire trunk gun with a handguard rail mount and lowest priced but decent pistol scope on it too, got the idea from this book, made a lot of sense for a dedicated rifle for your car. I'd prefer it something already beat up when i bought it, and valued under 200., far less than a new Savage. But the same sighting system.

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries