View Single Post
Old February 19, 2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Steve499

Don't try to kill a hog by shooting it between the eyes! The brain cavity is located above the eyes (behind a full inch of solid bone). The correct placement for a bullet for a frontal head shot is to draw an imaginary X between the ears and eyes,which puts the bullet at the center of the forehead and into the brain. A shot between the eyes would only work if that hog was looking up at the sky, you know, checking the weather or something.
That inch of bone can easily deflect a .22 round which isn't fired perfectly at right angles to the skull. I worked at a slaughterhouse years ago and have killed all my own pork ever since. Most of those hogs WERE killed with a .22 but the shot angles and conditions were ideal. A hog isn't particularly hard to kill if they are hit in a vital area with the first shot. A wounded hog is another matter. They can take a lot of lead after being wounded and still keep going. Personally, if I were going hog hunting, I would take my scoped 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser.

Page generated in 0.03087 seconds with 8 queries