View Single Post
Old June 22, 2012, 06:46 PM   #15
ThisIsMySig

Just shot my first .45 LSWC and I love 'em! Cleanest hole I've ever seen.

S_Constitutionist: You've probably figured this out by now, but the Lyman manual does indeed list data for two 200 grain SWCs. They are different bullets. I did the same thing you did at first and was perplexed by the 1.161 OAL. I realized that if I tried to seat my bullet to 1.161, it would be well below the case mouth. I then realized I had the bullet with the single lube channel, not the one with two lube channels.

With that mystery solved, I loaded up 10 cases with 5.2 grains of 231. They passed the barrel check ok, but would not feed when cycling the slide by hand. As the chambered cartridge began to eject, it seemed to be hitting the ridge of the next round in the magazine. This stopped the slide in it's tracks about an inch into its backward travel. If I dropped the mag out of the pistol, the round would eject. Mag in, no eject.

I took everything to the range this morning and loaded the rounds into the mag and fired away. There were no ejection problems. I'm thinking that there was a lot more force against the slide after firing a round and this perhaps overcame the issue of the spent cartridge hitting the ridge of the next cartridge in the magazine.

I'm only assuming that this is what is happening and that actuating the slide by hand doesn't apply enough force to overcome what I think is happening.

Anyway, I love the LSCWs and am going to bump up the charge to 5.5 grains to see how they perform.

NRA Member

Page generated in 0.02191 seconds with 8 queries