View Single Post
Old May 26, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Sarge

Quote:
It isn't a headspace question or dirty chamber question but a ramp question. Most guns will run hardball ammo all day and all night but will not feed a SWC unless the ramp is polished and angled just right. Most competition guns and most new guns don't have that problem. You need a good 45 gunsmith to fix your problem.
Any 1911 I ever had that would run well, would run well with 200 grain SWC's of the H&G pattern, loaded to 1.250" and finished with a firm taper crimp. None of them required ramp work to get that load to feed. I couldn't tell you exactly how many 500 round boxes of that bullet I have run through 8-10 1911's, but it has to be around 20 of them. Essentially all of them were loaded to the above specs and if they didn't feed like butter I would have quit them long ago.

On the original question, the only barrels I've ever seen, in which the aforementioned load sat higher than the barrel hood, were those that were short chambered and needed a reamer run in them. Not saying that is precisely the case with the OP's barrel, just making an observation.

Page generated in 0.03782 seconds with 8 queries