View Single Post
Old December 4, 2008, 07:03 AM   #19
Gecko10

Gun and leather selection is a very critical and costly, aspect of this sport. There are a variety of different SxS shotguns used. The TTN 1878 hammered double coach gun is very popular, as they generally run well right out of the box. That is what I shoot. The Stoeger's are also popular SxS. The 97's are also popular, if you can get one that runs well and is reliable. I'd say it was about a 70% SxS, 30% 97 mix, at least around here it is. As stated earlier the 1894 rifle is not a particularly well liked rifle. Most folks shoot 1866's, 1873's (Uberti's) or 1892's (Rossi's) which can be problematic without some work. The Ruger Vaquero is a popular revolver as are the Cimarron Model P's and EMF Great Western II,s. The Vaquero is alleged to be more robust, but as you know is not of Colt design.

You should consider your choice of caliber carefully. If you really want to be competitive then .38 Spl would be your best and least expensive choice, particularly for reloading. If you are striving for authenticity then the .45LC or .44-40 or .38-40,shooting black powder would be a consideration. Likewise you should give some consideration to the category that you will want to shoot in as some categories only allow certain calibers. Also as pointed out you will need two revolvers. If your club does not require it then they may not be SASS affiliated. However all the SASS clubs that I am aware of require two revolvers. Here is a link to the SASS Shooter's Handbook and you should read it before making any equipment selections.

http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php

I strongly recommend you go here with further detailed questions. It is a very active forum solely dedicated to CAS and you will get much more in-depth, detailed responses. Likewise you can find some very good used guns there.

I am Whiskey Creek Adams there and I think Hawg is Hawg there (our SASS alias') which you will have to get sometime as well as a SASS membership.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/

Last edited by Gecko10; December 4, 2008 at 08:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.03280 seconds with 8 queries