View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Salty1

Having had both as demo guns I personally would pick the LC9, first of all I find the laser on the bodyguard too difficult to activate, especially under a stressful situation. The majority of the time the button takes a fairly hard push to activate. It is not a bad pocket gun, but it is a 380 and as mentioned ammo prices are a bit high. I like the LC9 a lot, the down side is that the trigger is initially a bit 'gritty" although after about 200 rounds it broke in very nicely. Below is a review I wrote on the LC9 for those who may be interested... In all fairness the Bodyguard did not impress me enough to write a review, although I am sure that many happy Bodyguard owners would disagree with me.....

Since a LC9 came in I decided to take it for a spin and see what it was made of. I was able to see one at the Shot Show and my initial impressions were positive. I would like to start by mentioning that I am not a fan of the LCP at all, there is nothing that I personally like about that gun. No flaming necessary, I know that many people and the amount of them sold tells me that many would disagree with my feelings on this.

Initial Impression:

The LC9 weighs in at 17.1 oz empty and the size fit my medium hands very well. It seemed to fit well in the back pocket of blue jeans although I did not have a holster to test with. I really like the profile and rounded edges, almost a “melted look. The gun can shoot +P ammo but is suggested that it does not receive a steady diet of it, +P+ ammo is to be avoided. The trigger system is double action only, hammer fired and it requires a long pull although it is smooth all the way through and is not “gritty”. Trigger reset requires releasing it almost all the way out before the next shot. There is no second strike capability (negative #1). The gun only comes with 1 mag that holds 7 rounds and has a finger grip extension installed and a flat bottom for those who want it for pocket carry.

As with all new firearms I break them down for a thorough inspection and cleaning. I found the breakdown to be a bit of a pain. After the typical remove the mag and check that it is unloaded the next step involves pushing down an access plate and utilizing the separate “key” to push a holding pin from the right side to the left for removal. Personally I see this as negative #2 as one will need to carry some type of small tool to break down the gun while in the field. Upon breaking it down the first thing I noticed the plastic recoil rod and a 2 spring set up, a smaller spring placed under a larger one. Now I am wondering exactly how much recoil to expect, I would replace the plastic rod with a metal one once they become available but that is just me. Once cleaned greased and assembled it was time to dry run the functionality. The gun has a mag safety, remove the mag and the trigger will not move, it also has a manual safety as well that is flicked off with ones thumb, for those who like a manual safety this is a plus, activating the safety was not as easy. It has adjustable 3 dot sights that for my older eyes are just a bit too small yet still manageable to see.

At the Range

I brought the Ruger to the range with my wife and met a good friend Greybeard there (it is his range) to take the LC9 for it‘s initial test run. I found the trigger to be as long as previously mentioned but it can be mastered with some practice. The first 7 rounds went without a hitch although the slide did not lock back after the last round was fired. This was the only time this happened and I feel it was just part of the break in process. After that the gun performed flawlessly. My wife did have some initial problems due to the trigger being so long and she anticipated the recoil and was shooting low. I need to get her to the range more often. Greybeard and I had no problems with it but it did take some getting used to and will require a good amount of range practice to master it and feel comfortable as a CCW. During a rapid fire exercise at 11 yards all rounds landed within the paper plate I used as a target, this was a plus and I feel the accuracy was excellent for such a short barrel and concealable handgun. I was actually amazed at the low recoil, I still cannot believe how manageable it was, I only shot Federal and Winchester and no +P yet, did not feel like feeding it $1.25 per round ammo during this initial test that will come later. I would have no problem attempting a 50 foot shot if the need ever arises with the LC9. This gun is surely a winner and I see it displacing many of the 380’s currently on the market once they become generally available. Forget the LCP’s and similar micro guns the LC9 is far superior in everyway and only slightly larger, plus shooting the 9mm will help keep some cash in your pockets or longer range sessions…… Being a so called “Sig Snob” this LC9 will join my Sigs in the safe and possibly on my waist. I never thought that I would own 2 Ruger’s, the LCR and LC9 should be included in best of breed and not overlooked when looking to add to the collection. Kudos to Ruger on the LC9, they nailed it with this affordable firearm.

I added in a few pictures of the LC9 and the rapid fire target as well as a size comparison to the LCP in case anybody is interested.

Page generated in 0.04019 seconds with 8 queries