View Single Post
Old February 25, 2014, 01:16 AM   #3
dakota.potts

I thought the same, but apparently it doesn't come down to the papers being signed.

Here is Florida Statute 790.251(3)(e)
(e) No public or private employer may terminate the employment of or otherwise discriminate against an employee, or expel a customer or invitee for exercising his or her constitutional right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as a firearm is never exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes.

Depending on how the court reads that (it's awfully murky) it could be that an employee can't discriminate based on papers signed any more than they can ask about your age or fire you for your ethnicity or religion.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

EDIT: They'll also have to read into what is considered "exhibited". Was a firearm exhibited if it was accidentally seen by somebody? I'd say no, unless it was done through an act of the carrier. Exhibited to me implies an act of showing or otherwise displaying, versus a word like "exposed". It would seem to be written so that a person couldn't be fired for carrying a firearm at their place of business unless it was displayed to a customer, pulled in anger, etc. in which case you would want to fire that employee.

Page generated in 0.02358 seconds with 8 queries