View Single Post
Old August 8, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
bswiv

Used a TC Contender with a 14 inch barrel for quite a few deer and hogs here in Fl. While your barrel is much longer, and therefor performance signifantly enhansed, bullet selection criteria is not that much different.

In the velocities we got out of the Contender it seemed that 240, or at most 260 grain, hollow points seem to work well. A good balence between penetration and expansion.

With that said it may be that your much bigger deer may call for a heavier bullet. And I think with the longer barrel you may get the velocity to take advantage of them.

As for brand few folks will say bad things about the Hornady XTP. I've taken quite a few animals with them. I'll also admit to having a preference for the standard Remington 240 HP. It really opens up depositing all the energy fast.

Of course you sacrifice the value of two holes with a fast expanding bullet. As I get older seems I like the larger slower stuff because of less meat damage and so that I have two holes making a blood trail.......

Page generated in 0.03579 seconds with 8 queries