View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
SL1

That is the right way to do it, except that you did not mention a couple of points. First, I hope you lubed the cylinder throats first. Second, I hope that you started with a bullet that was originally larger than 0.452" in diameter. Because you wrote "wacked" I suspect that it was large enough for your cylinder throats. However, if you are going to do the same thing with the barrel, remember that you may still need to wack a bullet to engrave the rifling, even if the bullet's diamter is not large enough to get completely to the bottoms of the grooves, so you could get an undersized indication that way. Finally, you did say that you used a micrometer, so I think you have an acceptably accurate measurement. Sometimes folks use a caliper that has a precision of only 0.001" and do not realize that it is not ACCURATE to 0.001". For instance, mine reads about 0.001" to large in the range of 0.500".

As for "normal," your reading is probably about right for good accuracy in a Ruger barrel, which typically runs around 0.452". But, it is more usual for Ruger cylinder throats on their recent guns to be a little undersized. Mine were 0.450" when new and opened to accept a 0.051" plug gauge after about 100 rounds of .45 ACP ammo.

SL1

Page generated in 0.03213 seconds with 8 queries