View Single Post
Old November 25, 2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Rifleman1776

Several mentions here of 2Fg vs. 3Fg in big caliber rifles.
As far back as I can remember, and that is a long-long time, it was almost gospel that 3Fg was never to be used in anything .50 cal. or larger.
But, in recent years that concept has been placed into the category of an old wives tale.
Many dedicated ml shooters are using 3Fg. in all calibers. The pressure increase is not enough to worry about safety issues. Point of aim does change and the shooter must adjust both charges and his shooting habits accordingly.
Using 3Fg. has the advantage of shooting cleaner and somewhat more economically.
I was of the old school way of thinking for almost four decades but now only buy 3Fg. I'll use up my supply of 2Fg. in my Brown Bess and new fowler but after that it will be FFFg. all the way.
BTW, since smoothbore shooting is a dirty proposition to start with, many shooters are switching to Swiss brand powder. It is cleaner and (reportedly) more 'powerful' than other brands which all contributes to less gunk and mess in the bore.
As with anything in any shooting discipline, if you make changes, do so in small increments and exercise caution. BP won't hurt you if you respect it.

Page generated in 0.03075 seconds with 8 queries