View Single Post
Old September 7, 2009, 05:02 PM   #27
goldfacade

This website http://www.askthemeatman.com/deer.htmhas tons of info. Its a butcher shop with a few things to sell, but a lot of good info. Hanging seems to confuse people some, you either do it and swear by it, or you don't and swear by that. The FDA recommends that individuals don't do it but there are guidelines for commercial outfits on how to do it. 36-40 degrees, from 2-16 days. There was a post on here about deer not having enzymes. I have a link on my work PC tat I will post tomorrow that shows that the enzymes are the same as the beef enzymes, so aging does work.

If you don't have a place to hang your dear whole you can quarter it and place it in a cooler with ice (careful, hard to regulate temp) or do like I do; quarter it and place it in the garage refridgerator set to 38 deg. In 2 weeks cut away all the dried ugly meat, debone and separate muscles and viola perfect deer.

ps: you don't need to do this to the tenderloins or the back strap. Those should be eaten right away; blackened with garlic string beans, mashed red potato's and yeast rolls.

Page generated in 0.03542 seconds with 8 queries