View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
300magman

Stuck Case Removal - What to do with decapping pin?

After over a year as a reloader, I probably have more rounds under my belt than I can count. Everything from .223 to 45/70 and many inbetween; and so far, all has gone well.
BUT there is one cartridge that I Can Not reload. . . the ever popular 30.06

30.06 is the only case that I have ever stuck in a die, and I've done it FOUR times in 60 attempts. I've used spray lube, old fashioned lube, I've applied it lightly, I've packed it in until it dented cases. . . but before long, one sticks!

I use a Forster Benchrest full length sizing die, and I've completely disassembled and cleaned it several times. It appears to be polished to a perfect mirror finish but had one nasty burr where the vent hole was drilled. I've since had that fixed (it took very little polishing) and the neck expanding ball has been lightly polished as well. And is adjusted slightly to the conservative side of the proper position to ensure no mechanical interference.

Other than a magical explaination of why this die/cartridge confounds me, what I really want to know is how to remove a stuck case with the decapping pin protruding through the flash hole.
The fit of the die is such that it can't really be backed out; I achieved that feat a few times with a vice and a set of channel locks, but each time it mangled the decapping assembly and now there isn't enough of it left for another attempt.

Is there a way that I should have been doing it, to Not destroy the decapping assembly?

Page generated in 0.02220 seconds with 8 queries