View Single Post
Old January 11, 2012, 09:00 PM   #22
bedbugbilly

When I posted this, I posted it with the intent that it would give everybody a good view of some original gun leather and a 1851 Navy style revolver -

As has been noted, the revolver may very well not be a Colt - Colt clones were manufactured by other companies at the time - Metropolitan, etc.

This link was posted over on CASS in the leatherworking section of which I am a frequent viewer and contributor since I make custom gun leather. I hate to disagree with the one poster here, but there is not a cap box anywhere on that belt. In the view of the complete rig, between the belt buckle and the holster is a typical Civil War style/pattern cartridge for combustible revolver cartridges. The pouch between the buckle and the bowie knife sheath is not a cartridge box. If someone claims that it is, I'd like to see the documentation on it as to just what cartridge box it is and for what. The U.S. Navy issued a spare cylinder box very similar to this one only it had a wood block in the bottom with a shallow blind hole the diameter of the cylinder. They were placed in the box with the nipples in the up position - just as this box illustrates. The navy box held two cylinders and there was no divider of any kind between the cylinders.

One must remember that just because CW period cartridge boxes were issued with "tin liners" does not mean that any leather pouch with a tin liner is a "cartridge box". From a leatherworker's view, a box must be functional and built to last under possibly heavy usage. In the case of the U.S. Navy box, the wood block served to keep it in shape. On the box pictured, the tin liner would also serve to keep the box in shape. If an unlined box such as that were to be used without something to help it retain it's shape, it would soon droop and probably sag under the weight of two loaded cylinders if there wre not a liner or block of some sort.

One person questioned why a Colonel would be carrying a bowie knife instead of a sword. I have collected CW relics for over 50 years as well as having read as many first person accounts as possible. You have to remember that the individual to whom this is credited did not enlist as a Colonel. Not every officer carried a sword. If you read first person accounts, you'll find that many Confederate soldiers threw away their cartridge boxes and carried their cartridges in their haversacks - anything to cut down on what weight they had to carry. Read some first person accounts of members of "Jacksonn's Foot Cavalry".

As I say - when I posted this, I did so as it is a fine representation of period equipment. Is it true that it all belonged to the same officer? No one will probably ever know. Is it a true "Colt"? There are not enough close ups to show just what it is. The sights are not original but it does show that at sometime, the owner wanted to make changes so it could be shot more accurately. In essence, it is what it is. They are some neat photos of original items. It deserves to be looked at and enjoyed - I didn't know that when I posted it that it was going to be "autopsied".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03843 seconds with 8 queries