View Single Post
Old June 21, 2009, 10:42 PM   #25
FL-Flinter

Billy,

When it comes to the mass-production repro's, I don't keep a big inventory of new ones, most come in for repairs or custom grips. The local C&B market but it's growing as more people are getting exposed to the fun but it runs in cycles. I have a plus because I take trades & do repairs while most dealers are "sell only".

You're right, it is all about customer service no matter what business you're in. I built a couple flintlocks for a fellow and about a year later he called wanting to know if I could get him a particular short barrel C&B because none of the chain-stores had them in stock. It took me a few hours and dozens of phone calls to finally track one down. It came in sealed in the factory box and while the gun was fine, the grips were anything but quality. I couldn't send it out that way so I made a pair of Maple grips to replace the disgusting crap it came with and sent it off to the customer, no extra charge. He though the loose grips in the box were a joke until I told him that's what it came with. I took a big loss on that one but it was worth it because he's sent many more customers my way.

I missed the Colt discussion and I'd have stayed out of it anyway especially when it comes to price. I never thought anyone would shell out a small fortune for a well used & somewhat abused 1970's Japan made Tower repro until I saw someone hand $750 to the "sell only" dealer across the isle from me at a gunshow.

Page generated in 0.02923 seconds with 8 queries