View Single Post
Old June 29, 2000, 05:05 AM   #5
FUD

Rusty, I'm the one who started that trend with regards to "being well armed with five rounds of .38 special" and since one of my first guns was a BDA380, you can better understand why I was asking if 5 rounds of .380 is enough.

A lot of people are into this thing that "bullet placement" comes first and if "you do your part, any bullet will do it's part" and so forth and so on. However, before pistols became the "in" thing, I knew of no LEO who carried a five round revolver when a six rounder was available despite the fact that most encounters were ended with only one or two shots having to be fired.

Everyone wanted that sixth bullet and why not? Another point that is rarely addressed is that despite the fact that LEO must regularily qualify with their firearm, a 1997 DOJ study indicates that 91% of shots fired by LEO's missed their intended targets. If trained LEOs do so poorly in real life shoot-outs, then it stands to reason that less trained private citizens will do even worse.

Therefore, I completelty agree with you that hi-cap magazines are a definite benefit and why a hi-cap .380ACP is the perfect choice for my wife as her home defense gun. She works full-time plus is a full-time mother. Consequently she does not have the opportunity to get out to the range very frequently. The BDA380 kicks like a .22 because it's a fairly large size when compared to other .380's out there today and she can remain a good shot with a minimum amount of time spent at the range and, as a result, I feel that she is better armed with that gun than with a .38 special that holds less bullets or a 9mm that she might not be able to shoot as accurately.

Also, if facing three BGs, five shots each of .380 has a better chance of stopping them than two shots each of .38 special. This is why when I was buying my very first gun and I narrowed it down between a Colt Detective Special with six rounds of .38 special and the Browning BDA380 with 14 (13+1) rounds of .380ACP (both guns were about the same size with the Colt revolver being a little bit bigger), I picked the BDA380.

Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD

Page generated in 0.03755 seconds with 8 queries