View Single Post
Old August 26, 2011, 08:52 AM   #3
Slamfire

I have one english translation of a German Weapons book, in passing it mentions failures in service.

I expect the production period of these rifles went from 1888 to 1898. The materials and processes of that era were primitive to say the least. Complex alloys, agreements on what material properties were important, did not exist. I don't think the first phase diagrams were published till 1895.

So what I am saying is be nice to the rifle. Always use good brass, nothing more than mid range loads.

In terms of failure reports, people don't like to report accidents. Human society view failures negatively, regardless of how it happened, and as a reflection on the person involved in the accident. Many people have this Medieval view that good people, “virtuous” people, don't have accidents. But bad people, “villains”, suffer accidents, because God is punishing them.

Ever tell your wife how you broke something while you were working on it, but came up with a permanent solution that fixed the issue? Did she think you clever because of your problem solving ability or did she think you an idiot because you broke something.?

So, where is the incentive to report a failure?

Page generated in 0.04123 seconds with 8 queries