Thread: Hog Dangers?
View Single Post
Old January 21, 2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Long Path

During a bungled spot-'n'-stock with Rich and Ashley, I stalked up on a group of hogs in a clearing. The biggest was probably about 200+ pounds, at the rar end of the clearing (~80 to 100 yards) and I was trying to stalk up into pistol range to use my .44.

The nearest was about 20 yards away, and was only about 100 to 120 lbs. I was basically in plain view of it, but was moving carefully, and thought that I could get closer (I was downwind). Suddenly, the porker saw something strange, and focused on me. He snorted, which got the others' attention. Then he quickly advanced toward me for about 3 to 5 yards. I remember thinking, as I began to draw my Super Blackhawk, "A charge? No kidding? How cool is that?!?" I stepped behind a small mesquite bush to try to give myself more concealment, and he figured out what I was, immediately reversed direction, and sounded the alarm. I switched to rifle and launched a poorly-shot round of .35 Whelen after the big hog running across the clearing. Never cut hair.

That smaller pig that "charged" me wasn't, IMO, actually charging. He was acting as a sentinal, trying to quickly find out what I was, and then even quicker running away. That 10 to 15 feet of advance toward me (made at a short sprint, BTW) was the equivalent of someone saying, "what is that? What IS that??? Oh, crap! RUN!"

But it was pretty nifty, nonetheless.

Page generated in 0.03023 seconds with 8 queries