View Single Post
Old April 12, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
rwilson452

In my opinion the three variables in order are:
Powder and powder charge
COAL
bullet selection.

Overall, attention to detail will improve things beyond the above. Matching cases. either by weight or water volume.

I would ladder up some charges in .2 gr steps and see if you can find a sweet spot. after that I would start to alter your COAL in .005" in steps. just don't try to do both at once. If nothing give you the desired result you can change primers or bullets . doing either of these means you start over from the beginning.

Remember, only change one thing at a time.

Quote:
Variables and Controls in Reloading
Hello All,

I'm new to this, so please forgive the "green" nature of this question.

I've been out shooting my Browning .270.

My friend has been kind enough to load me 100 grain bullets with a powder load of 53.5 gr. of IMR 4831. Our goal is to produce a lethal, accurate load, with as little kick as possible. I'm coming off a .243, so we thought this load would be a decent transition.

My question is this: As we examined the targets, there was some spread on the pattern. Let's say 2 inches. I know I can adust the load, but I'm unclear of the "pecking order" in terms of changes. In other words, do I move up in bullet grain first, or do I add more powder with the existing bullet?

I'm trying to figure out how to establish a control, so I know what is changing.

Thanks for your experienced advice.

Cheers.

DG

Page generated in 0.04058 seconds with 8 queries