Thread: 12 or 20 gauge?
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2007, 09:46 PM   #6
banditt007

the whole argument that a 12 gauge 'blows up' game and a 20 dosent is complete B.S. its all about what load you are using. yeah if you shoot a rabbit w/ #6 shot, 1 3/4oz turkey load its going to 'blow up'. or if you use a light load of 1oz and a full choke up close.

The difference between gauges is not really much if any velocity difference its max payload. w/ that said i often see 1oz 20 gauge loads (i forget what the 'standard) 20 gauge load is, but 1oz is close. you can also get 12 gauge loads in #6 a similar popular shot sizes....with how much payload....1 oz! SAME THING. Same payload, and such close velocities you couldnt tell the difference.

with the 12 gauge comes a easier to get wider variety of ammo. you can load up to serious loads, or down to basically a 20 gauge load. the only downfall of the 12 gauge, in my opinion of course, is the fact they are generally 'large' guns and not a light quick 20 gauge package.

at the same time often you see the same gun in 20 and 12 gauge and figgure i want the lighter/snappier gun, and go for the 20 gauge. but a lot of 20's are built on 12 gauge frames.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries