View Single Post
Old August 29, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1
Bill Akins

Watercooled ruger 10-22 tripod mounted

(Be sure to scroll to bottom and check out pics, links for pics and video test firing links.)

Beat ammo prices & still have tripod mounted fun

With 308 up to .45 and .50 cents a round, shooting is getting expensive. If someone takes their browning 1917 or 1919 to a mg shoot and fires a few hours they can easily eat up 20 belts of 100rds each, that's 2000 rds. At .45 cents a rd that's $900.00 and at .50 cents a rd that's $1000.00 they just threw downrange with nothing to take home to show for it other than the fun they had in one afternoon's shooting.

That may be ok for some folks, but suspose someone could show people how to have almost the same amount of fun with a mg style tripod mounted semi auto gun that could either utilize the trigger as normally or with a crankfire and still shoot 2000 rds for a total ammo cost of $36.00 would that interest people?

My air cooled and water cooled (aluminum with some steel) mini browning style dress up stock prototypes for the ruger 10-22 work by using the trigger normally or with an accessory crankfire device. Aside from one model being truly watercooled (I use antifreeze) they are dress up stocks only and do not have anything to do with changing the cyclic rate of fire of the ruger 10-22. The 10-22 is totally unmodified and is semi auto only. By attaching the bmf activator crankfire device manufactured by bmf and not me, they can fire legally and unregulated like a gatling gun. Bmf has manufactured their crankfire device since 1981 and have been approved by the BATFE since that time. My dress up stocks are over 26 inches long and use an over 16 inch threaded bull barrel. They will fit on the full size M2 tripods and the 1928 tripods as well as other 1919/1917 full size tripods. They utilize an unmodified ruger 10-22 as the host firearm.

Actually they are not smaller semi auto exact copy versions of a browning or any one type of mg. They are my own designs that are intended to resemble without being a copy of, some mg's such as my air cooled one resembling a browning 1919a4, but the watercooled one resembles not only the browning 1917 but also the maxim/vickers and other water cooled machine guns of the early 20th century. I call them my mini browning ruger 10-22 dress up stocks because it would take too long to call them...."my mini ruger 10-22 dress up stocks that resemble some particular mg's while also resembling a family of other watercooled ones". Lol. I still haven't come up with a name that aptly describes them in a short sentence.

I can change to different full size tripods quickly and easily. My adaptor for attaching them to full size tripods is removable from the dress up stock. I can fire by pulling the trigger normally or by installing an accessory crankfire device like the bmf activator. So if I lived in a state that does not allow rapid fire crankfire devices, I could still enjoy this dress up stock by pulling the trigger normally. I can replace any worn out ruger 10-22 parts inexpensively and easily from a host of suppliers. I can use any banana mag or the MWG 50 rd mag. It requires no modification to my host ruger 10-22.

The air cooled model was my first attempt. It came out with a fake shell receiver that has a bit of a long "tongue" projecting from the bottom front of the fake shell receiver that I am not happy with the looks of. This will be changed and will look like the watercooled model's fake shell receiver on my yet to be built 3rd model.

My third yet to be built model will incorporate improvements and changes I learned from making the first two protos. It will standardize the shell receiver and enable a quick change between a water jacket and the perforated air cooling shroud so I can change it from a working water cooled that uses a ladder sight, to an air cooled that uses an antiaircraft style spider sight in a few minutes.
The air cooled model uses a windage drift adjustable (by tapping it left or right in its dovetail) M60 d rear sight that flips up and down, with the tall front sight being my design with a bead that screws out for elevation. The watercooled model uses a design of my own for its front sight that closely resembles a browning 1917 front sight while the rear sight on the watercooled is my design for modifying a 1917 enfield rifle's ladder sight to be able to effect windage. It also flips up and down under spring tension so you can use the battle sight arperture, or the ladder arperture.

These are just my own personal dress up stock prototypes for now but I would like to know what the firearms community's opinion is of them in case I decide to produce them in the future and that is why I am posting. These are not affiliated with Akins Group Inc in any way and I will not comment on any questions or comments related to Akins Group Inc or their product the Akins accelerator and I respectfully ask that no one hijack this thread to do so.

As to what any projected retail price will be if I did produce these dress up stocks, at this point I actually have no projection for that.
These are not in production, not on the shelf and I am not taking orders at this time. They are not for sale at this time and this is not an advertisement. I am simply asking for opinions from the firearms community on what they think of the concept and what I have created so far.

Here's pics and a link to videos of test firings. Sorry for the lighting in the videos, the indoor range was not well lit. Will take better outside videos soon. All opinions accepted for consideration. Please keep in mind the above features it accomplishes when stating your opinion and how it differs from features accomplished with any similar system.

Link to video test firings.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560343189dTxnsb

Link to still photos.
http://community.webshots.com/album/560342901vXuprF

All finished except for rear sight height spacer. MWG 50 rd teardrop mag in gun

Rear sight height spacer completed & mounted. Watercooled totally finished

Another pic of rear sight height spacer finished. Watercooled model completed

Another shot of the same.

Prototype #1 air cooled finished. Very first attempt and first model made. Foldable & driftable M60d rear spider sight installed in shroud's dovetail base. Front sight my own design, bead unscrews for elevation. Future models will not have "tongue" projecting from fake shell receiver bottom front, and will be able to swap from air cooled to water cooled in a few minutes. BMF activator crankfire not installed in this photo.

Air cooled mounted on tripod adaptor and on M2 tripod with 25rd mag inserted. Front sight not yet made at that time and rear sight not installed yet & just sitting on fake shell receiver to give an idea. BMF activator crankfire installed.

Page generated in 0.04631 seconds with 8 queries